Friday, February 19, 2010

Winning the Prize

We have been watching and enjoying the Winter Olympics. These are sports that most people (including me) don’t follow regularly, but every four years we can get totally engrossed in the competition. And we can become “experts” about things we have never even tried (snowboarding, luge, skiing downhill at 70mph). The games have reminded me of the old Wide World of Sports motto: “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.”

They have also reminded me of the words of the Apostle Paul: Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
1 Corinthians 9:25-27.

Let’s win the prize, eh?

1 comment:

Gerrard Fess said...

that's a good post, eh?!