Thursday, January 11, 2007

Northmen

The winter update has been posted on The Northmen website. For those who do not know, The Northmen is an annual campmeeting for men & boys in Northern Michigan. It is a great time of fellowship. It is very primitive. We camp in the middle of a state forest, miles from the nearest town. This summer will be my third time preaching there. It is a wonderful privilege, especially for a Michigan guy. The theme is The Parables.

I'll always remember a few years ago when I preached with my father-in-law and brother-in-law (it was a father/son theme that year) -- Ray Merritt (my wife's father) was on the platform and he asked, "Really fellas, is preaching at the Northmen any more exciting than preaching somewhere else. Is there any reason why it should be more of a thrill?" As the guys quietly contemplated that one, suddenly Ray (who was in his mid-60's at the time) leaped into the air and shouted, "Youbetcha! Yahoooo! I'm preaching at the Northmen! Can you believe it?" Mike Steere (and everyone else) loved that. Amen Ray, I couldn't have said it better.




No comments: