Thursday, April 01, 2010

John Piper Rethinks Long-Standing Belief

After announcing his upcoming 8-month leave-of-absence, Calvinist John Piper also released the following statement concerning his position on the atonement:

"After much study of God's Word, I have come to the conclusion that the Calvinist position concerning the doctrine of the atonement is outside the teachings of Scripture. For many years I have taught that the Calvinist position on the atonement was absolutely correct. I taught that the atonement was the elect. Jesus died to save the elect to the glory of God. I taught that God the Father sent the Son to glorify His name by dying in place of the elect and through His Spirit He now draws them unto Himself. I was incorrect.

I now teach that the atonement was for all and this truly brings glory to God. For many years I have sought to exalt God through faithful teaching of His Word. I have tried to emphasize that the Westminster Confession of Faith is correct when it say that the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. This is accomplished best through the unlimited atonement of Jesus Christ. God is glorified and His honor is proclaimed when we declare that Jesus died for all men and that all men can be saved through His atonement. What a wondrous work is Jesus' death and resurrection! How mighty is our God!"

I must say that I was shocked to read such a statement. You can more about the Piper statement here.

2 comments:

Tom Stolarick said...

I wish it was true!

William Mckinley Dyer said...

Oh not even fair!!! U totally got me