Monday, December 12, 2005

Christmas Cancellations Revisited

Today I listened to Jon Weece (minister of Southland Christian Church) address his congregation regarding the firestorm of controversy surrounding the decision to have no services on Dec 25 (sermon can be heard here).

I appreciated hearing his side of the story. I still question the wisdom of the decision. But the decision was made, and since I believe strongly in the autonomy of the local church, I believe that it's their decision to make. But I'm still stunned that apparently these guys couldn't predict that there would be an extreme adverse reaction to the decision. However, his message demonstrated the way a good leader handles controversy. The church needed to hear from him. And they heard a humble, reasoned response. I also appreciated the manner in which the church supported its minister with sustained applause, encouragement, and signs of support.

No comments: