Wednesday, July 01, 2009

NACC: Day Two

I'm skipping the afternoon workshops to work on Sunday's sermon (and to update my blog).

I remember my first NACC from a few years ago (other than the one I attended when I was 10). I was like a 12-year-old kid at the MLB All-Star Game: “There’s Ben Merold. And there’s Bob Russell. And I think that’s E. Ray “Cotton” Jones and Wayne Smith.” Even we preachers can get a little star-struck sometimes. Even in my forties, I can be somewhat intimidated by the brotherhood “biggies.” But they are simply men:

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.
1 Corinthian 3:5-7

2 comments:

David H. Willis said...

And who can forget being in the presence of Rick Atchley. "Together forever..."

He missed a chance to bring it home that year. If had closed his message with that song as the intrumentals & noninstrumentals sat together, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A LEGEND.

Now that was a great year. Stone gives Walling a pew Bible! Steve (last name?) mentions baptism in a strong way at least making 2 people happy! A Faull preaches at the NAACP or NCAA... Jerry & Jeff both say "Somebody help me..." BR baby is just a few rows away... and we can feel his presence... a chance encounter with the padded Paul W... Harry McCarty pronounces "Bono" like no no...(& is obl;ivious) & the list goes on & on...

Have fun out there!

Soren said...

David,

I thought of you singing "Together forever" when Atchely did some announcments today.