Thursday, July 09, 2009

Vampire Christians

Recently I came across the term “Vampire Christians” – (I think it was Dallas Willard who coined the phrase). Erwin McManus put it like this, “The entire focus of our faith has been the elimination of sin, which is important but inadequate; rather than the unleashing of a unique, original, extraordinary, wonderfully untamed, faith.” Vampire Christians are people who are only interested in Jesus for His blood, but not for life change. One in effect says to Jesus: “I’d like a little of your blood, please. But I don’t care to be your student or have your character. In fact, won’t you just excuse me while I get on with my life, and I’ll see you in heaven.”

Church, we have to do better than this. Because you know what vampires do best? They suck.

1 comment:

JD said...

Excellent thought!