Thursday, June 08, 2006

I Am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N

Brian Jones posted an article on the Christian Church Today website (I’m guessing that it might appear in the Christian Standard at some point).

I appreciate his emphasis on what it really means to be a “disciple” of Jesus, but I think he overstates his case about the term “Christian.” What really honked me off was this sentence: “But it was a nickname non-believers gave us, and for some reason it unfortunately stuck.” Huh? If the Acts 11:26 passage (‘they were first called Christians at Antioch") was all that we had, his statement about it being a nickname of questionable origin might have a little validity (although it would still be speculative). But what about 1 Peter 4:16? “If you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.” Praise God that we bear an unfortunate nickname that was given to us by unbelievers? I don’t think so.

What is with these guys who are writing for our brotherhood publications these days? They seem to have forgotten that some of us have actually studied the Bible and we can recognize a liberal load of touchy-feely, pragmatic crap when we see it.

No comments: