Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Indiana Jones

We saw the new Indiana Jones movie over the weekend. I’m a big fan of the Indy movies, but I left this one disappointed. I probably had it built up so much in my mind that I was going to be dissatisfied no matter what. The reason for the let down is difficult to describe, but it seemed like the director was trying too hard. In the other movies, the stunts and edge-of-your-seat situations were at least somewhat plausible. But this movie, while adventurous and entertaining, simply was over-the-top. And towards the end it got way too cheesy and weird. Sure it’s an Indiana Jones movie. But three waterfalls? Three? And she drove the car off the cliff onto a tree and drove it into the river? And he survived a nuclear explosion? In a refrigerator? And the Tarzan sequence. Tarzan?

Another blogger summarized the movie like this:

Raiders of the Lost Ark was the best of the series. That aside, I can summarize Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in three sentences:
• Indiana Jones meets the space aliens.
• An army of ewoks/monkeys comes to the rescue.
• There is a flying saucer at the end.
So if those three sentences don’t bother you, you'll love the movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kind of felt the same way. It was still an ok movie. Have you seen the new Narnia movie? How did you like that?

Soren said...

I enjoyed Prince Caspian. I have not read the books, so I didn't know what to expect. It was good, but not nearly as overtly spiritual/Christian as the first one.